Saturday 27 March 2010

Kick Ass (2010)



Starring: Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Mark Strong, Chloe Moretz and Nicolas Cage.

Kick Ass came out of nowhere. One minute Jonathon Ross was tweeting about his wife’s new film that no-one’s heard of, then suddenly it’s everywhere. On the cover of Empire magazine, on the sides of busses, all over the TV. Most of my work colleagues have heard about it, though one mistakenly interpreted it to be a new spoof movie – ala the Wayans brothers – and had already decided to give it a wide berth (I called him a twat and set his facts straight, naturally).

Kick Ass seemed to gain momentum overnight, but is it worthy of the hype?

Kick Ass is a film about a normal, geeky American teenager (Johnson) living in New York. One day on his way home from the comic store, he gets mugged for the millionth time, and decides he’s had enough. He orders a frankly awful wetsuit and balaclava combo off the internet, and goes out into the neighbourhood to right some wrongs under the pseudonym of Kick Ass.

Naturally, he gets stabbed up and hit by a car.

With most of his bones shattered, he has several metal bone replacements inserted (“Cool, I look like Wolverine!”) and ends up with such damaged nerve endings he is able to feel little pain. So he chucks the wetsuit back on and gets back out there.

Meanwhile, the local mob boss in town is having a hard time, as all his cocaine deals are interrupted by a masked assailant described by his lackeys as looking “like Batman. But not Batman.” As Kick Ass steps up his campaign to clean up the neighbourhood, a video of him saving a man from a gang beating ends up on Youtube. With that, the mob boss puts a mark on Kick Ass’ head, convinced he is responsible for all his lost revenue. He enlists his comic-obsessed son (Mintz-Plasse) to pose as the new superhero in town to bring Kick Ass in.

Unbeknown to everyone, the real superheroes in town are the father-daughter combo of Big Daddy (Cage) and Hit Girl (Moretz). An ex-cop, framed by said mob boss and sent to jail for coke dealing, Big Daddy has vengeance on the brain. Since his parole, he has been training his 12 year old daughter to take bullets, run up walls and fling knives around.

In summation: don’t try to take this kid’s lunch money.

I really can’t put much more of the plot without giving everything away. But you get the general idea – superheroes, guns and geeks.

So, let’s start by talking about Aaron Johnson. He’s 19, English, going out with a 43 year old film director, and soon to be father of their child. I’m not one to be prejudiced about age gaps but...that’s fucked up, right?

You may recognise Johnson (if you’re a girl) from Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, where he played a hunk – a far cry from the geeky character he portrays here. Likewise you may have seen him in the more respectable Nowhere Boy as a young John Lennon (his casting was no doubt helped along by the fact he was boning the director).

I’d say Kick Ass was probably a pretty easy character to play, as they go. However, Johnson has had the chance to start showing off his acting ability in a number of varied roles, and I found him to be a perfectly believable geek (if not a tad too good looking). I thought he was fine, and as a trio with his two best friends he provides some of the biggest laughs of the film. Some great laughs also arise from the girl of his dreams thinking he’s homosexual – and him playing along to spend time with her.

I don’t have too much more to say about him – I’d need to see more of his acting repertoire to judge if he’s more than just a pretty face, though I applaud any English actor who breaks Hollywood, especially at 19.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse is best known (of course) for being the infamous McLovin. Having only seen him in Role Models and Superbad before Kick Ass, I could say he’s typecast and moan about that. But what’s wrong with being typecast when you’re absolutely hilarious and brilliant? He’s not a major role in this film, but every scene he’s in is full of laughs.

I love this guy.

Him and Johnson deliver (in my opinion) the funniest scene of the film. I won’t give it away, but I’ll just say this – Gnarls Barkley.

Now, Nicolas Cage. Nicolas Cage is a douche. You don’t need me to tell you that if you’ve been subjected to any of his acting “work” over the last 5 years. The last film I genuinely thought he was good in was Adaptation. Adaptation is 8 years old, and he’s been in 22 films since then. It seems any film that stars Cage these days should come with a label under the certification

“Warning: May well be shit.”

Thank god Kick Ass doesn’t need that certification. Cage steps back and takes a smaller role, is annoying to the minimum, and actually delivers some pretty good laughs. I congratulate him for being brave enough to take on a film where his character’s first scene involves shooting his 12 year old daughter in the chest. He still irritated me a bit, but this is a far cry from Bangkok Dangerous, Knowing, National Treasure, or any of that terrible wank he’s been appearing in lately.

So, what did I think of the film as a whole?

It’s good. It is. It’s consistently funny, missing the mark only a few times. It’s violent in a way that will make you grin and wince at the same time, but revel in every second of the action. It takes the piss out of crap superhero movies like there’s no tomorrow, while showing respect for the greats simultaneously. It’s pretty well written, and the direction is sublime.

There are only a few little gripes I have with the film. The main one being is that Kick Ass has his own Myspace page. I mean, who the hell are they trying to kid? Myspace are spending so much money trying to get into films lately, with a huge segment in Funny People and now a prominent part in Kick Ass. Now, I don’t want to be mean to my first ever friend on Myspace but seriously, Tom, you’re flogging a dead horse. Myspace is going to be completely socially irrelevant in 10 years, maybe even 5. While it still may be used to showcase new musical talent, it will never be used as a social networking site to the extent it once was. The fact that Kick Ass has a Myspace page is going to date the film considerably, but if it was funding from the site that made the film possible, I guess that’s ok with me.

Some of the CGI isn’t fantastic, but it really didn’t matter to me. The action sequences are just breath-taking; I’ll suffer fake looking flames for a 12 year old annihilating a corridor of grown men any day.

This film is going to be Chloe Moretz’s big break. I have no doubt whatsoever about that. She’s only just 13, but she was the film’s biggest, brightest star. Hit Girl is most definitely going to be a hit with almost everyone. Who doesn’t love watching a 12 year old girl chop people’s legs off and cuss like a pro? Seriously though, I saw Moretz in 500 Days of Summer in a fairly small role, and thought that she seemed to have pretty impressive acting chops for someone so young. This film is without a doubt her vehicle to stardom. She is responsible for the majority of the laughs, the majority of the deaths, and is the essence of the whole film.

She’s the one who really kicks ass.

I would definitely recommend this film to almost anyone - except your nan.

5 comments:

  1. I love the little girl from 500 Days and want to see this just because she's in it! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a well written review! i've been debating whether to watch this or not...or to just wait for orange wednesdays but i think you've swayed me now - so i'll be watching this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I started a film blog a while back, but posts take so much time that I have let it fall by the way side and I feel bad. I shall have to kick my ass into gear and get it going again. But my fashion one takes up a lot of my time. Anywhoo nice writing, very good. Daisy Dayz Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger's comment reply system is so fail it's unbelievable. Anyway, thank you for your comment on my latest blog post. You're right, I should just blog about whatever the hell I like, but I'm so hard on myself that I never think what I do is up to scratch. *sigh* But like you said - it's all about the expression of an individual. I have taken your comments on board, thank you :)

    Oh, and I loved Kick Ass. I'm definitely dressing up as Hit Girl at the next fancy dress party I attend. Nice review. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm convinced this film should have been called Hit-Girl.

    And thanks for reminding me of the Gnarls Barkley bit.

    ReplyDelete