Wednesday 23 September 2009

Let's give this a try, shall we?

I have a degree in Creative Writing, and all through my degree I found myself looking longingly over at the Film Studies lecture theatre. Not because I want to make films, but because I want to watch them. All of them.

I'm not going to claim to be a mega film buff. I've worked in a cinema for 5 years and a DVD shop for one month. I have around 400 DVDs. I've mainly seen new films and am shamefully aware of the lack of classics in my DVD stacks. I'm also one of those people who will instantly recognise an actor in a film, obsess over where I've seen them before, and won't relax until I've worked it out (or logged on to IMDB). I could probably tell you the storyline/lead actors from any high-ish profile films that came out in the past 5 years. Feel free to test me on that, if you wish.

Anyway, I've been reading a friend of mine's blog tonight. Hers is about makeup and hair and beauty, something I'm not so interested in, but it really woke me up. If I want to be a writer, and want to review films, why the fuck aren't I doing it? It's like if I don't get a pay cheque at the end of it, I don't have enough motivation. Well, screw that in the ear. As of now I'm reviewing every new film I watch, and maybe some old ones too. I won't pretend to know too much about camera angles and lighting techniques, but I will be writing entirely honest, biased and non-patronising reviews, ranging from the ragingly angry to the deliriously happy.

Enjoy, gentle reader.

As a side note, if you are a fan of Julia Roberts, Jack Black or Helena Bonham Carter, I wouldn't read my blog. Irrational hatred lies within.

1 comment:

  1. I will drop by occasioanlly to enjoy your seasoned vitriol - especially if it features Jack Black.

    Good luck with it!

    S
    x

    ReplyDelete